How many nights are you tossing and turning in bed? Approximately 70% of adults in the US report that they experience insufficient sleep at least one night a month, and 11% report insufficient sleep every night. Sleep deprivation has been linked to a variety of health problems, including obesity, diabetes, high blood pressure, and depression. The importance of good sleep for your health, career, and happiness is vital and there’s something you can do to help get better sleep that doesn’t include prescriptions – aromatherapy. At Pure Placid we focus on curating different scent profiles for the best aromatherapy benefits – including using aromatherapy scents for better sleep.
Aromatherapy has been used for centuries as a natural way to promote relaxation and improve sleep quality. If you’re new to aromatherapy, it’s the use of essential oils to improve physical and emotional well-being. Essential oils are concentrated plant extracts that are used for their therapeutic properties. They can be inhaled (such as through soy candles), applied topically (via lotions and soaps), or used in a diffuser to release their fragrance into the air.
Certain scents have direct ties to better sleep.
- Lavender, chamomile, and ylang-ylang are known for their relaxing properties and can help ease anxiety and stress. By calming your mind and body, it’s easier to fall asleep. The Pure Placid Balsam and Clementine scent includes lavender and helps relieve anxiety and promotes better sleep.
- Cedarwood, frankincense, and vetiver can help you achieve a more restful sleep and wake up feeling refreshed. Pure Placid Adirondack Chair scent includes cedarwood to help clear the mind and improve sleep quality.
March is Sleep Awareness Month and there are things you can do tonight to help get better sleep.
- Incorporate aromatherapy into your sleep routine. We love lighting a candle. The routine readies our body for sleep and the scent helps calm the mind.
- Eat the super food for sleep, a kiwi, an hour before bed. It’s packed with serotonin and antioxidants known to help sleep.
- Take a warm shower or bath 90 minutes before going to bed. The hot water helps change your core temperature so that by the time you get into bed your temperature drops which signals to the body it’s time for sleep.
- Stay off electronics before bed!
Learn more about Pure Placid and our natural soy candles and body care products.