So why should you choose an organic hand soap over a commercial one? At Pure Placid we believe in natural products that are just as good for the environment as they are for our bodies and minds. But there are also a number of health benefits of hand-crafted soaps that make them worth seeking out over commercial soaps. But first let’s look at what commercial soap is and what it includes.
What Is Commercial Soap?
Commercial soap typically is produced en masse by large multinational companies worldwide. They're made as cheaply as possible to minimize cost and maximize profits. In fact, commercial soap manufacturers often remove glycerin from the soap that they produce. Glycerin is responsible for keeping the skin moisturized.
These soaps, in comparison to olive oil soap, are not handmade. Instead, they’re created in a factory by machine and commonly have chemicals and additives such as parabens, phthalates, petrochemicals, synthetic perfumes, SLS/SLES, and artificial coloring added. So, let's look at each a bit more in-depth.
- Phthalates: They are often used as an ingredient to create plastic (also known as a 'plasticizer'). Unfortunately, this chemical is also known to be linked to several cancers, congenital disabilities, and infertility.
- Synthetic Perfume: Synthetic ingredients have been known to cause allergic reactions in the skin and can also be linked to hormonal disruptions. Natural fragrances are typically made from ingredients harvested from sustainably grown plants; however, synthetic perfumes are often used in commercial soaps. Why? Because they can smell stronger, last longer, and are much less expensive than natural fragrances.
- Parabens: This is an ingredient that acts as a chemical preservative that aids in extending the shelf life of commercial soap. You can find these in a wide range of beauty products as well. Chemical preservatives, such as these, have estrogen-like properties, interfering with the endocrine system and causing unbalanced hormones.
- Petrochemicals: Since little is known about the long-term effects that petroleum will have on our system, these chemicals should be reconsidered and deemed unsafe.
- SLS (Sodium Laurel Sulfate) and SLES (Sodium Laureth Sulfate): This is the ingredient that is responsible for creating a thick lather. It's an inexpensive chemical that can be found in many personal care products. However, while it produces a rich-looking lather, it also will strip your skin of its natural oils. This leaves your skin feeling dry and irritated.
- Artificial Coloring: Too many commercial soaps have artificial dyes (such as Red 33, Blue 1, Yellow 5, and Titanium Dioxide). These dyes have been known to cause illness and various health issues in people.
The list goes on to include chemical additives such as Mineral Oil and Petroleum Oil, which all sound good but end up blocking your pores which causes blackheads as a result.
When you have the option of purchasing a high-quality natural olive oil soap, it's hard to see why you’d willingly choose to put these chemicals into your body. Especially when there are so many benefits of hand-crafted soaps.
Hand-Crafted Soap Benefits
- Longer Lasting Moisture: Natural olive oil soap has glycerin, a natural fat found in plants. Glycerin helps hydrate the skin and organically keeps the skin soothed for longer. This is a primary reason why olive oil soap is great at part of your skincare routine.
- Animal-Friendly and Vegan: Typically, handmade soaps are vegan-friendly as they contain no animal by-products like milk, honey, or animal fats. In addition, the fact that smaller companies, like us at Pure Placid, make them often means that they're also not tested on animals.
- Only Natural Ingredients: Commercial soap is closer to detergent when it comes to all the additives included, like petrochemicals, parabens, phthalates, and phosphorus, which can dry out the skin over time. On the other hand, handmade soaps are made with only natural ingredients like vegetable oil, lye, distilled water, and sometimes skin-safe fragrances.
- Sustainable Packaging: A lot of handmade soap comes from small, environmentally conscious businesses. As a result, most handmade soaps will come in either little to no packaging or environmentally-friendly packaging using recyclable materials.
- Safe For Oceans: Because handmade soap is made from natural ingredients, it's not harmful to the environment when these get washed into the waterways. In contrast, commercial soaps will have synthetic chemicals like phosphorus, harming water-dwelling creatures.